So we all know of the health benefits of coconut oil, I cook with it and eat it in my porridge and have been known to pop a spoon full into my nutribullet.
But the benefits for grooming and beauty remain relatively undiscovered until now. They have been the preserve of a few devotees but coconut oil is going mainstream as an essential part of the grooming ritual.
Vita Coco is one of the UK’s leading brands and is renowned for its coconut water, which naturally led onto our great love of coconut oil. Organic, 100% raw, extra-virgin and cold-pressed, Vita Coco is pure, good for you and trades directly with coconut growers, ensuring you get the very best quality oil.
1. Use it as a hydrating oil to shave with. Either on its own or as a pre-shave prior to gel, foam or cream.
2. It’s a great beard conditioner, use it to moisturise the hair and condition the skin pre-shower then rinse off under water in the shower.
3. It’s a great cleanser, use it like you would a cleansing balm: scrape off some coconut oil into your palms, warm the oil in your hands then massage onto clean skin. Use a hot cloth to wipe off the excess for hydrated, fresh and deeply cleansed skin.
4. Apply a little coconut oil to the brows if you suffer from dry skin or dandruff around the brow area.
5. Coconut oil can be applied anywhere, if you have a dry scalp and very short hair, warm some oil in the palms of your hands and massage into the scalp.
HOME REMEDY for flaky scalp
Melt 3 tablespoons of coconut oil gently in a saucepan. Allow to cool, add 5 drops of to tree oil and stir until fully blended. Apply the mixture to the scalp (Liz recommends transferring the mixture into a small squeeze bottle for easy application) and massage well. Cover hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap and leave for a couple of hours, before rinsing and shampooing with a gentle formula 2-3 times to ensure all of the oil has been removed. Apply conditioner as appropriate.
Vita Coco is available at Boots, Selfridges, Holland and Barrett, Tesco and Wholefoods, amongst others.
Available in three sizes: 250ml, 500ml and 750ml.
From £5.99 for 250ml.